Thursday, May 31, 2007

Stanley Park - Changed Forever By Nature


Ever since April when I went to Stanley Park to do the MS Walk (yes I really am that far behind in my life) I have been thinking about the devastation that the November 2006 storms had upon this beautiful park. If I had been shown pictures of parts of the park today I would never have recognized it as Stanley Park. I did not have time to take a complete look around the park, but seeing the damage that was done at Prospect Point was jaw dropping. The picture you see above is where my friend Frances parked when they were here from England last summer. Then there was nothing but forest in front of the car and now it looks like a logging site. It was an emotional jolt for me and I have thought about it often.
I have always delighted in nature and find it a calming influence in my life. Nature - trees, flowers a gurgling brook and the sound of birds singing always make me think of peaceful things and peaceful times. Most of my pictures and posts on here reflect that and yet this too is of nature. Nature at her most powerful and destructive. It makes me realize that we humans are very much just like nature. We have the ability to be a powerful force for good, but we also have the ability to be just a strong a force for destruction.

******************
The tree the tempest with a crash of wood Throws down in front of us is not to bar Our passage to our journey's end for good, But just to ask us who we think we are.
Robert Frost (1874-1863); On a Tree Fallen Across the Road
*
I thought this an appropriate quote for this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment