Saturday, July 07, 2007

Lovely arn't they?


My birithday isn't even here yet and it is all over! I have been celebrating my birthday all weekend long starting with my friend Denise giving me this beautiful bouquet of flowers and taking me to my favorite restaurant Cloud 9. Cloud 9 sits on the 42nd floor of the Landmark Hotel and rotates 360 degrees every hour and twenty minutes. They say that on a clear day you can see 200 miles in every direction and Friday was clear and sunny. The views from up there were spectacular. The food was great and the service first class. Denise and I ended the evening at our local pub chatting with a guy who was covered in tattoos and telling us how he had a vibrating tongue ring at one time..... un huh! It was a lovely evening and I enjoyed myself immensely.
Today was supposed to be the night Alana, Karen and I went to the Greek Summer Festival with their father to celebrate, but Alana has been so ill for the last four days with some kind of bug that she was not up to it so Karen and I went and had a great time.
The Summer Greek Festival in East Vancouver is always held around my birthday and is a great way to have some fun. The Greek Orthodox Church at Boundary and Moscrop puts up tents, hauls in giant barbecues and builds a stage to host one the best festivals in this city.
They play Greek Folk music and bring in Greek dance clubs to perform traditional Greek Dances. The traditional dances are fun to watch and everyone seems to get into the spirit of it from the little children to the elders of the community they all take their turn performing the traditional Greek Dances. I love to watch the men dance. They dance with such passion and seem to put so much emotion into it. I especially like to watch Kosta the MC for the festival as he has such a keen sense of rhythm and timing.
As well the festival is such a multi-cultural event with people of all nationalities participating.
Of course no festival is complete with out the traditional food and this one is no exception. The minute you step out of your car you begin to salivate from the aroma of roast lamb with all the trimmings. They tell me that they need to roast 40 - 50 a day just to keep up with the demand. They also serve all the other traditional food such as Greek salad loaded with feta cheese, Souvlaki, Tzatziki with Pita Bread and of course those wonderful pastries such as Baclava, Bougatsa and our favorite loukoumades! Heavenly little warm mini-donuts dipped in honey and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

We enjoyed every morsel of this stuff and had to resist ordering more.
I have had a wonderful birthday and feel very spoiled by it all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I hope you did some celebrating for me too because we don't have any fun events around our town to participate in! This town is a ghost town.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the same to you Lorelei and any time you want to come party in my town on our birthdays you just let me know!

    ReplyDelete