Thursday, September 25, 2008

Memories of Quebec

I am back to the grind and hating every minute of it as much as I did before I went on holidays. I think there is a message in that for me. However for now I cannot do too much about it.

My first glimpse of Quebec City was just as the sun was rising on the old quarter. I had been told that it was probably one of the most European like cities in Canada, but having never been to Europe I was not sure what to expect. However the first morning that I walked in the Old town I was so over whelmed by the colorful old buildings and narrow winding cobblestone streets. You felt as though you were walking back in time, yet here people still live and work in these buildings.
Quebec City is the oldest city in Canada. It has just celebrated it's 400 hundred anniversary. As I walked through the streets I could not help but be awed by the beauty that surrounded me on all sides. The city sits on a hill overlooking the St. Lawrence river.
I walked on the Plains of Abraham where the battle between Britain and France played out and was a deciding factor over the fate of New France and influenced the creation of Canada. It was so exciting.
Everyday from early morning until late evening I walked the streets and explored as many nooks and crannies as I could. I ate wonderful traditional Quebec food such Poutine with chunks of cheese melting into the gravy and every afternoon I indulged myself at one of the many out door cafe's with one of the incredible pastries and fragrant coffee. No matter how hard I tried to resist it was impossible!


Quebec City is the best holiday I have ever had in my life. I have never had the chance to just go away on my own and explore a new city. Usually I had children and/or husband in tow so this was a great experience for me. Later I will put up the rest of the pictures and share my trip up through the country and then up the St. Lawrence to the Saguenay Fjord!

More Pictures at my Flickr site

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Canada is a place I would love to visit when I get the chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool catch for skywatch! Reminds me the saying,,,, We never know how high we are, till we are called to ris; and then, if we are true to plan, our statures touch the sky... Happy Skywatch! Hope you can visit my SWF entry too...

    ReplyDelete