Sunday, July 23, 2006

Gotta love this


One thing I have always loved about growing up on the Sunshine coast is the wild life. I can remember walking to school and being delighted to see a mother bear and her cubs cross the road in front of me. I guess I was pretty stupid, but it never crossed my mind to be afraid of them. I always knew that if you left them alone and kept some distance between me and them I they would never hurt me. I loved to walk home from a friends on a spring evening and see deer and their fawns grazing on the side of the road. I was enchanted by them and I would stand for long periods of time, perfectly still, just watching them.
This year after the Sea Cavalcade parade we drove up the coast to Sechelt and stopped for lunch at Davis Bay. There on the water front, abandoned on the shore by it's mother, who was probably fishing nearby, was a brand new baby seal!



I could not believe my eyes. He looked so vulnerable there in the surf with the waves tossing him around. He made you just want to scoop him up and cuddle him, but of course that would be irresponsible of us. The wild life rescue informed us that his mother would probably be back to get him once she had finished fishing for food. Still....it was hard to just walk away from this little guy and I can only hope that he is happily swimming along side mom right this minute!

Seeing that little seal just made my day and just when I thought the day could not get any better I was in for yet another surprise.


This little deer was grazing on the side of the road and just like when I was a little girl I stood on the other side of the road holding my breath and not moving a muscle lest I scare him away. I shouldn't have worried as he was much too busy eating his dinner to care about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment