Sunday, December 03, 2006

If I Shout Will You Be Able To Hear Me?

"What this country needs is more people to inspire others with confidence, and fewer people to discourage any initiative in the right direction more to get into the thick of things, fewer to sit on the sidelines, merely finding fault more to point out what's right with the world, and fewer to keep harping on what's wrong with it and more who are interested in lighting candles, and fewer who blow them out." Father James Keller
Geez... I am dead tired. Spent all day yesterday at a political conference where we discussed everything, but what is really on people's minds. That being how do we take this party back to it's roots and the people who first had the vision? The vision is not out dated, nor is it an invalid vision, it is just that people have lost the vision. The vision of a community, a province, and a country of people of all races, beliefs and income levels can be assured of having food, clothing, housing and medical care for themselves and their loved ones. Somewhere along the way we have lost the way. I am not sure how to get back to the beginning myself, but I know that I am willing to fight for it. The only way to have a society that we can all be proud of is to be accountable to everyone in that society and to remember that EVERY ONE MATTERS! Some how we must get through the in fighting, through the power mongers, through the financial demands and back to the people. We have some good people who can do the job if they can just get out of the muck and mire of the bureaucracy and back stabbing and on to the streets with the ordinary guy.
Speaking of ordinary..... I spent the rest of the evening at the fundraiser that was attached to the conference. You know the one where the people who have it or think they have it all mingle to convince each other that they have it more than anyone else. I worked the bar, cleaned up the tables and spent the rest of my time noshing and shmoozing. I like to find out what is happening in each little corner of the lower mainland ridings and constituency offices. Except for a very few ridings I get the message that not much is happening yet I know from talking with my fellow workers at the conference that they have a good sense of the problems out there and have some suggests for correcting the problems. I also realize that if the people who were at the conference can't be heard by the head honchos of the party then how can the guy on the street that is really suffering.
It is an age old problem.... but today it seems much more relevant than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment