Thursday, January 31, 2008

To-Do or Not To-Do

Can you believe we Canadians actually hold the record for making to-do lists. Yep that's right. Out of and eight country study we ranked first in the to-do list category. You know those lists we all make every week on the corner of our desk mats and on the back of napkins while having lunch or on the chocolate bar wrapper on coffee break ;
  • Buy toilet paper (tired of using the comic section)
  • Take the dog to the vet
  • Phone Aunt Grace for her birthday
  • Buy booze for weekend
According to a study that was done recently Canadians use to-do lists more than anyone else. In fact we are so good at it that we spend about one hour a week revising, prioritizing and checking off things just on these lists. 47% of us are so hooked on them we have multiple to-do lists. The study goes on to say 4 out of 10 Canadians feels frustrated with trying to get everything done on these lists. (Ya think?)In fact we are so bad at getting it done that we ranked last out of eight countries in the study for completing the tasks on our lists. Women apparently tend to make lists of tasks that require doing immediately while men make list with long term goals. Now why doesn't that surprise me?
I don't know about you guys, but I am now swearing off those list. The way I figure it most of the time I make those lists and spend an hour or so just looking for the list because I have lost it and then I give up and start all over again. By then I have lost at least two hours and according to the study I will probably not finish most of the things on the list anyway! The way I figure it I will save myself two hours at least a week leaving me more time to get more of the stuff done that is not on the list (because I didn't make one) than I did when I made lists. I am so glad I read the results of that study. I have saved myself hours of grief.



1 comment:

  1. I love lists! If I wake up in the middle of the night and remember something I have to do, I have to get up right then and write it down or I will forget it by morning!

    ReplyDelete