The controversial carbon tax DIVIDEND cheque finally arrived. Yep our Premier sent us all $100.00 to spend because he felt the price of gas wasn't high enough to convince us to get out of our cars and on to those non-existent buses South of the Fraser. This morning I heard one of his ministers trying to explain how this all would work. I was fascinated. According to the government here is how it is going to work:
- The government gives us $100.00
- The government adds a 2% gas tax on July 1st (gas is currently $1.48 a litre)
- The government lowers our personal income tax 4%
- In a few months the government will raise the tax to 4%
- A few months after that the government will raise the tax to 7%
Now that was an incentive I couldn't refuse and my government said it would make a real difference to the climate and everything... so I took my cheque and went to the US where I got $20.00 more gas for my cheque than I would have in Canada!