Saturday, January 17, 2009

An Early Morning Walk in the Fog

Early morning fog.... lasts all day!

The past week has been busy and filled with emotion. I went to Lou's memorial service yesterday and woke up this morning thinking about life. Strangely not about death. I mean after all death is pretty clear. Death is final. Death is something that comes to all of us sooner or later. Death is clear. There are no second chances. No - Oops I will get better at this! Death is the end. It is the ultimate pink slip! It is life that I have so much difficulty with.
It is life that seems unfair. It is life that sees some people suffer enormously while others seem to breeze through everything. It is life that sees some people live in abject poverty no matter how hard they struggle while others seem to never struggle for finances. It is life that sees some people drink, smoke, eat fatty foods to excess and never exercise yet live to be 99 while people who practice disciplined lives die of heart attacks at 50! Life! I just can't figure it all out sometimes.
So... I did what I usually do when I am mentally restless. I took my camera and went on a foggy early morning walk. I didn't get any answers, but I did find some beauty even in the midst of the gray and black.
A merchant in the Punjabi Market setting up his produce stall

6 comments:

  1. These photos are beautiful, haunting and mysterious. Just like life, I guess.

    It's my belief there are no answers, just questions. Life and death is pretty random.

    I'm sorry to hear about your loss. She sounded like a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:54 AM

    Life isn't fair but, then, fairness is a concept we humans invented as a hedge against our perception that existence is chaotic. It is as pointless to expect life to be fair as to expect horses to fly.

    In the same way, life has no meaning. We humans invent meaning, sometimes for good, sometimes for ill.

    This is why I was touched by a 19th century drinking fountain that I mentioned on my French blog. It was erected in about 1898 by two brothers to celebrate the life of their mother, not to mourn her death.

    Life is the one thing - most improbable and yet most beautiful - that briefly denies the chaos of existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drowsey. I am glad you liked the pictures. Thanks for the condolences. I am glad you enjoyed the birth story!

    Silver Tiger - you are right. Life is not fair and you have given me something more to ponder. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first photo is so lovely. I really like the haziness and mystery of that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I love your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tarolino - I like the way that one turned out as well, but the man at the Punjabi market speaks to my heart. Always and industrious community.

    Thanks Lorelei

    ReplyDelete