Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Happy Birthday Hula Hoop!


This day in 1948 the hula hoop was first manufactured for mass sale by a company called Wham-o., but has been around since the 1300 when it first came to Britain and was made out of wood.
I can still remember having hula hoop contests with my friends and family when I was a kid. I could spin the hoop for hours with out getting tired of it. Today I still own one with full intentions of using it for exercise purposes (yeah sure). It sits in a corner of my living room looking lonely. I think it was one of the greatest toys they ever made so I am not surprised that it's popularity has lasted all these years.

Did you know:
  • Japan once banned the hula hoop because the rotating hip action seems indecent.
  • On June 4, 2005, Australian Kareena Oates set a Guinness world record for hula hooping - with 100 hoops for three full revolutions.
  • 101 hoops were spun by Alesya Goulevich of Belarus on June 11, 2006
  • 105 hoops were spun by Jin Linlin of China on October 28, 2007.
  • The world record for the largest Hula Hoop (by circumference) spun was set by American Ashrita Furman at 51.5 feet on June 1, 2007.
I think I might just challenge someone to a hooping contest - anyone interested?

2 comments:

  1. I'll pass on the contest...not sure I'd even fit inside one now! ahahaha

    But seriously folks, as a kid I could hula like crazy...and a few years ago my niece had one and I tried and couldn't keep it going! It was hillarious! Not to mention embarassing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete