Friday, November 21, 2008

What a Difference Six Weeks Makes

What a difference six weeks makes. It seems as though I have been gone forever because so much has happened in my province, my country and the world!
Here in BC we have had two by-elections both of which were won by the left leaning party.
Federally we have had an election that really saw few changes. The Conservative party picked up a few seats, but not enough to give them the majority government that they were looking for. One thing this election did was cost money - a lot of it! 300 million at last count. We can spend this amount of money to get very little change for our country, but we cannot find a way to house the thousands of homeless or the feed the hungry children in this country - shame!
Our civic elections saw a number of communities electing predominantly left mayors and council members. In particular was the election of Gregor Robertson in Vancouver, former NDP MLA and an almost complete left council to give him a large and powerful mandate. Many see these changes as being a taste of what is to come in the May 09 Provincial election.

Of course the greatest change is the complete sweep that the Democrats took in the US electing, Barak Obama, the first black President in their history.
Obama was seen as a bringing hope to our neighbors to the south who have been plagued with recession and job losses. It will be a bleak Christmas for many in that country who have lost their jobs and their homes due to the down turn in the economy. However, I wonder if the American people are expecting miracles from their new President, when he may only be able to offer soloutions that will take time and patience from Americans before they see any real lasting results. This country may yet be in for some real challenges in the next couple of years.

Remembrance Day was rainy and miserable, but I still managed to get out to a ceremony to yet again remember those who lost their lives so I could freely speak out on this blog. And also remember that we are still losing young lives in a war we can't win in Afghanistan.

Thanksgiving in Canada has come and gone and I am thankful for my family and my extended family. In four days the US will celebrate their Thanksgiving.

All that in just six short weeks since I last really posted anything! Can't wait to see what happens over the next year!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, we are suffering in the states, but very hopeful. We know Obama can make no magic wand fix, but we are inspired to go on his journey with him---we need each other. Welcome back. May next year leave us all thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Diane - he has inspired people and given them hope and that is important. Thanks for the welcome back. I try not to spend too much time on here as I am still waiting for an MRI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obama is only half-black. Personally I don't think color/race/gender should have anything to do with who we elect as our leader, but I find it interesting that everyone in America is saying he's our first black president. I'm sure Obama is not the first president to have "black" blood in him somewhere, whether acknowledged or not. I find it troubling that so much weight is put on his color instead of his politics. Just as troubling as so many women who voted for McCain just because he had a female running-mate. These are things that should not factor in to an election decision. They shouldn't, but I realize they do. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

    I'm happy to see you posting again. :)

    ReplyDelete