Monday, December 22, 2008

Brackendale - Winter Home of Eagles


A few weeks ago on a chilly, but clear day a friend knowing my passion for eagles drove me to Brackendale to view them at their wintering ground. I had heard a lot about this place and had even visited it last summer when I went to Whistler Village, but there was not a sign of an eagle then.




This time as we drove near the river you could see groups of them in the trees, but I was unprepared for the sight of so many white heads sitting in the trees on the other side of the river! It was quite amazing.
As we walked along the river's edge we could see several of them eating fish on the other side and at times making that high pitched call that is so unique to the eagle and always thrills me. Occasionally one would fly up the creek and to my delight two of them flew right over our heads!

While I was quite over awed by the amount of eagles in one place I was surprised to hear from a gentleman who visits every year that this was a poor turnout for the eagles so far this year. He told me that last year he was able to count over 900 in 40 minutes!

As the season for the eagles in this area is from November to February I am hoping that more show up and that I will get the opportunity to visit again.

I was not on my game this trip with taking pictures so there are not many and they are not great, but I hope you will enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment