Sunday, December 28, 2008

Bye Bye Christmas 08!


This Christmas stockings that were hung by the chimney with care are now drying out on the heaters that everyone is burning night and day around the province in a vain attempt to keep warm.

This Christmas has to be the worst I have ever remembered for bad weather. Christmas eve, Christmas day and Boxing day saw me trudging through the snow to get the last of the shopping done, deliver gifts and have Christmas dinner.

Most of the holiday I took sky train which at the best of times is unreliable and right now is subject to closure without notice on an hourly basis. As I sit here bundled in my coat and new boots I thank god for these boots not to mention the person that purchased them for me as a gift only days before we got our first real dump of snow. These boots have been the only thing keeping me sane while walking Lucy and waiting shivering in the wet and cold for buses and sky trains.

All the bad weather aside - I did enjoy my Christmas with lots of nice gifts and kind words in greeting cards and e-mails from close friends. I gave thanks that all the people I am close to enjoyed their Christmas despite of the challenges many of them are facing this year.

I am saddened however, that while I celebrated what is supposed to be a season of good will and peace on earth, hundreds were killed or injured in senseless fighting in Gaza, car bombs continued to go off in Baghdad killing innocent civilians, three more Canadian soldiers were killed in Afghanistan and children in Canada, one of the wealthiest countries in the world, continue to go hungry in ever increasing numbers.

I hope that all of you have had a safe, happy and healthy Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment