Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yearning for the Desert

When I was a young woman I was lucky enough to travel to Death Valley. I had always been curious about what a desert really looked like as the only place we have a desert is in Osoyoos and it didn't look too spectacular to me and it looked nothing like the pictures I had seen in books about the desert. I thought that the desert would be colorless and drab, but I found that the desert was as fascinating to me as the snow covered mountains here in British Columbia. I have always wanted to go back there so it tweaked my interest this winter when I heard that there were incredible rains in the desert. Today I read that the rains have awakened long dormant wild flower seeds and the desert is alive with color. I wish I could see it. Even more - I wish I could photograph it. Here is a picture of it that I found.What a lucky photographer!

5 comments:

  1. dreaming of 'horny' toads again are you?.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only desert I've ever been in did not look like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lorelei it didn't look like that when I saw it either. Apparently it is because of the rains there and the seed lays dormant waiting for just such an occurance no matter how many years it takes. I think it would be breathtaking!
    I envy that guy standing there with his tripod!


    Oh.. yeah gt281 - I am going to ignore that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be amazing to see! Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. drowsey monkey, I would love to see and photograph the desert like that.

    ReplyDelete